Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box brace

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twoslo4five0, Feb 12, 2007.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Alright i know this question has been asked before and i just read for a hlf an hour on a thread about it...ok here is my situation i need to brace my steering box on my 3/4 burb...it is used for street only and towing..no crossover just push pull...35s on it too....my frame isnt craked yet...can i just run the bolt in brace???i dont know how to weld or have the means to get it done...on ords website it says 3/4 tons have thicker frames...what yall recomend??

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I'm similar. I don't have any damage on my K10 frame, and am poised to run crossover. I'm not taking any chances. I've got both ORD's bolt in and weld on. Can't have too much protection there. JMHO.

Best wishes!

Manny

3. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

I have the bolt on brace only, no cracks yet, but the weld on is in the works, like muddinmanny said, can't have too much protection.

4. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i think your ok with a 3/4 ton frame

5. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

Not a great pic but this is with the steering box brace. The brace did do its job, it was so strong in fact that it pulled the threads through the steering box:eek1: . I now have both the brace and weld in frame piece, with longer studs, and threadlocked nuts on the other side. Never can be too strong.

[​IMG]

6. twoslo4five0

remeber the truck is a street truck on 35....

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

sorry for the hi-jack, but i didnt want to start a third thread bout steering boxes.

can i still run the bolt-on steering brace if i move my steering box forward?

8. 87Mudder

87Mudder Registered Member

I don't think so. The tapered end of the brace bolts to the crossmember. So unless you move the crossmember up with the steering box it wouldn't line up.

9. twoslo4five0

are you trying to run high steer,crossover and move you wheelbase..is that why you wanna move the box...gotta get reverse high steer if thats the case...

10. Bushido

Bushido Registered Member

I'm on my second 3/4 ton truck and on the first truck I had 33s and ran it with no brace for 10 years with no problems.My second truck I just put the bolt on ORD brace because it felt a little loose when driving.Major differance after installing the brace.Oh BTW the second truck is running 35x12.5s and I do moderate off roading and street driving.I would definitely recommend the ORD bolt-on brace.My order with them went very smoothly as well.

11. twoslo4five0

so your steering got tighter with it...what lift do you got i got 6...

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

from what people have said, when running 52's, if you move the steering box, you can still run regular hi-steer, thats why i asked bout teh brace:D

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run a 5-6" lift and the ORD bolt on. It definitely tightened up the steering with the 35's. It is probably all you need for 35's and a DD. I am going to weld in a brace also now that I have 37's and am going to crossover.

14. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

In the cases where you find the brace tightened-up the steering, its probably because the crossmember rivets were coming loose. It sneaks up on ya.:doah:

15. Bushido

Bushido Registered Member

I have to take a look at that.I checked the frame really well for cracks and there were none that I could see.I just thought the frame was flexing.Could very well be the crossmember as the truck was used to tow a fairly big boat by previous owner.---Oh btw,I'm running a 4" lift with some light fender trimming at the corners.Will need to open it up a bit more as I've been rubbing on recent trips.

16. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

I have a small crack line going from my bolt holes I don't want the weld in brace my friend said he would weld the crack and weld some washers to were the bolt holes go would that work? I will definitely get the bolt on brace tho