Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box brace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txguy, Feb 12, 2002.

1. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

I talked to a guy about ordering one over the weekend, and they said that it is not a simple bolt on process. Anyone out there offer their experiences with it?

Thanks

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

well there are 2 different types,
    there is a weld on application, and a bolt on
    the bolt on is made by ord
    i have a weld on, but havent installed it yet, the weld on is less expensive, but obviously requires the knowledge on how to weld.

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I used ORD's bolt on brace. It doesn't get any simpler than that, and Steve Fox did a write up in the technical section.

Derf00
    1990 K5 Jimmy 350 Edelbrock Performer TBI, 6in BDS Lift, Dana 60, 4.56, Corp 14B Detriot, 16x10 AE 589's, 37x12.5 SSR

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

ORD's box brace is great. Install isn't bad at all.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

5. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

30 mintues to install for me. Well worth the time. Now understand if you have a cracked frame that this is not the fix. Then you need to get the weld on patch and no the patch is not a brace. The patch repairs the frame. I would still install a brace even with a patch because it does remove about 95% of the frame flex and that frame flex will still be there with the patch it will just move up to the edge of the patch. It also doesn't help stop the movement at the frame and cross member. Go look at how much that frame moves around. Get somebody to move the steering back and forth and watch. I am thinking of putting the brace on the Lady's 79 that will not be on the trail as long as we own it. It makes such an improvement in the steering you will be kicking yourself for not getting it sooner.
    Understand this. I'm a cheap skate. I don't spend cash unless I have no other choice. I feel that is some of the best cash I have spent on my truck so far.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper