Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box.... Cross over question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Sep 15, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

HI, debating doing cross over. I have a steering box for a mid 80 caddy. For those whose don't know , the car steering boxes bolt up to the wrong side of the frame. Any ever tried taking the shaft out of a car steering box and put it into a blazer box so you can index it at all 4 locations?
    Any info anyone has is appricated
    Thanx,
    Mike

You call that dirty!?

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't know if the Caddy shaft will work, my guess is it would. I'm doing crossover also. I just got a 78 chevy p/u 2wd box from the wrecking yard for $25.

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. tlarsw

tlarsw 1/2 ton status

I tried to change the shaft out. Opened it up and looked the inside the box, looked like alot of work. Maybe it was the 2WD box that I had, but I figured for the $20 it cost for a 2WD box at the local junk yard, best just to get one there.

1986 K10 TPI350/NV4500/Gen2 Doubler/D60(ARB)/14FF(Detroit)/4.56 gears

4. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

Dont mess with that caddy steering box all you have to do is buy a steering box off a 2 wheel drive chevy my local napa auto parts has them 77-79 part # 27-7512 make sure it has the 3/4 small input shaft. hope this helps.
    I did mine 4 years ago its the only way to go. 1 FN HI K5
    you can see my blazer at htpp:/community.webshots.com/user/1fnhik5