Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box. Enemy?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Dec 17, 2004.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Death Wobble?

Is it possibe for my steering box to cause the death wobble. I have been trying to get rid of this wobble for years and its gotten very annoying. I have new bjs new pitman arm, new stabelizer, healthy shocks, bearings and tie rod ends. Aligned and balanced last summer.

The wobble ushally happenswhen im going 20-35mph and i hit a bump or drive on a creace in the road. When it wobbles i can feel play in the steering wheel, but it is not the same play generated by my tires jerking back and forth.

When i jack up my front axle, and i grab my tire, i can move it with my hands at 3:00 and 9:00. When i move it all my steering system moves and i can see my steering wheel move in the window about a cm both ways. Is this normal?

If i replace the box will the wobble go away?

If I need to replace it should i just go with crossover?

How much does a crossover system cost on average?

Thanks guys!

---John

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

ttt anyone?

3. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

w

on my Dana 60 my kingpin bushings were worn out and some other were worn out...i'm getting ready to puton a cross over kit, i think i spent like 800 bucks for all my stuff. that is all new bearing and seals, new HD 2wd steering box, crossover kit, new kingpins bushings, and some misc other stuff

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I really need to know. Can the steering box cause the wobble, and is it supposed to have a little play in it when the engine is off?

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The box should have a little play at either extreme of the pitman arm's travel and next to none in the center. Has the box been rebuilt recently?
    There is a spec for the adjuster on the top of the pitman shaft. DO NOT adjust this w/o knowing what the spec is, but if it's not right it could be part of your problem.