Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box fittings question... cooler install...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Oct 13, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I sent my steering box off to WTO to have a problem fixed and since I have everything disconnected and drained I thought I'd install my power steering cooler. I assume the hose that is held to the hardline with just hose clamps is the low pressure line. The plan is to use the hose supplied with the cooler to run from the hardline stickin out the bottom of the pump to the bottom of the cooler... then from the top of the cooler to the steering box itself. questions...

1) i got this cooler from summitt and while the catalog said "PS cooler" the box it came in says its a tranny cooler. question: is the rubber hose that comes with tranny coolers 100% a-ok to use with steering fluid or should I use something else?

2) I want to get rid of the factory hardline that attaches to the steering box. It would make the whole cooler install cleaner and more simple. Question: will a simple brass fitting from a hardware store of the appropriate size work for this? I was thinking something simple... like this...

[​IMG]

i notice on the factory hardline tho, the end is flared and there is a little rubber o-ring etc... will the type of fitting above work in its place? maybe with some UHMW tape on the threads?

any other ideas/info on the subject would, of course, be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

trans fluid and power steering fluid are of the same nature and you will not hurt those hoses with power steering fluid...in fact most normal power steering fluid is TYPE F atf...

3. jekbrown

cool thx... so... how bout that fitting? any ideas?

j

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Here is my take on the fitting.... Don't get rid of the hard line in the system....! THe hard line is just that hard for a reason... The fluid between the pump and the box is under a lot of preasure and is for a reason. I HIGHLY suggest running the cooler on the unpreasure side of the box! It will bleed all the air out and do the same thing without putting the cooler inbetween the pump and the box(preasurizing the cooler and it might not be built for that!)... The way you want to do it might have adverse effects on the steering box too, as in the cooler might slow the flow of the fluid on the wway to the box and slow your steering down!! The fluid will be cooled just fine as it returns to the resevior if you mount it after the box.... Accomplishing what you want to accomplish!!!! Oh, and Power steering fluid is the same thing as Tranny fuild, like stated above! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No, the fitting you are showing will not work because that is pipe thread and the hole in the steering box is not. Like you said, there is an O-ring that seals the original hose to a seat inside the gear box. Another thing is that is also the high pressure side and has extreme pressures that would overcome a hose clamp I am sure.

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Dude that fitting has a name that I can't remember. Any place that makes hydraulic lines can get that for you. You should be able to cut your return line and run new quality hose to the cooler or have hoses made. Return side of steering box is low pressure and is fine to connect with good hose clamps. I use clamps rated for fuel injection lines for stuff like that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jekbrown

think i confused some peeps... Im not planning on connecting anything to the high pressure line. AFAIK im putting the cooler in the low pressure return line... there are 2 lines... one (from the factory) is just held onto the hardline with hoseclamps... the other is slightly bigger and has the same kind of ends that my hydro-assist hoses have. Im tryin to not spend any $ I dont have to (while Im unemployed!!) so maybe I will use the factory line after all, and just cut it off a few inches after it comes out of the box and makes its 90 degree bend. The reason I dont want to use the whole hardline is because that would bring the soft hose closer to the fan as it turns to go in the cooler... and we dont want that. lol!

I have a small hardline hose cutter gizmo, but no flaring tool. It'd prolly be best to flare the end a little bit, just to be extra sure the connection is good.... is that the kinda thing u can borrow at a parts store? or maybe improvise with something simple?

btw, just to clarify... on the stock setup, the smaller hose-clamped line is a return line? meaning the fluid is flowing from the box to the pump? good thing to know, since the way I described it in my inital post would have the fluid comin out of the steering box into the top of the cooler and then out the bottom. Not the best for bleeding purposes!!

anyway, thanks for the assist guys...

j

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I understand what you are trying to do but the fitting you are showing still won't work because it is tapered pipe and the gear box is not. Earls makes a fitting that would replace the hose fittings that go into the gear box and then could be converted to stainless hose if wanted or needed. I know you aren't wanting to spend any extra money just letting you and or anyone else reading this know in case they might be interested in doing so. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Dude that fitting has a name that I can't remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.R.B. otherwise known as 'O'ring boss.

Rene

10. jekbrown

extra $... baaaad! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif no reason why i cant use the factory hardline, its lil o ring looks to be in fine shape and its free. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif still prolly gonna cut it though if it wont fit how I want it too...

j

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I ended up with some funky return line attached to the PS pump I have, but the PO of the PS pump had simply taken the stock metal line, cut it, (flared it at the same time) and used a rubber hose connected to it.

If that fitting is the same as the fuel injection fittings (and it appears to be) then almost no one can make that line. That fitting is COMPLEX to make, as you need a special machine just for that style...an interesting fitting, but I don't understand why GM spent the effort/time on that style...the tubing is still one piece, but it is apparently belled out in production, the bell is crushed flat to produce the lip (no metal expert, but maybe done hot?), then the end for the o-ring has a slight flare put on it.

Only found one person locally that can do this, no hydraulic place could. Using an Earl's adapter is probably the easiest way to get rid of it if you need to. The Earl's fittings for TPI stuff adapt to AN.