Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box for crossover, get new shaft, junkyard box, or get reman box??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Oct 30, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am looking into doing crossover:

Should I use the current steering box I have now and put a 2WD output shaft in it? If so where can I get one?

Should I get a 2WD steering box from the junkyard and put new seals in it?

Should I get a reman box from advance auto for $150 with a warrenty?

Which should I do and why? Thanks!

2. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I take it you're not going to do the Hydro Assist? If you are thinking about it I would strongly suggust it. It's the best deal going. For $400 (for CK5 members) http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/hydrosteering.html you get your box compleatly rebuilt and a 2WD shaft installed, hydro fittings installed, ram, hose, and all the hardware. If you dont want to do that, then go to a junktard and pull a 2WD box and get the shaft out of it. Sorry I could'nt be much help. Later

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Dawson,

Take your current box, send it to Matt at WTOR have it rebuilt and the fittings added for the ram assist. Even if you don't need the ram assist right now, you can get the box rebuilt and the fittings installed for about $100. Matt's service is great and he does very good work. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I just talked to WTO 2 days ago, and it is not $100... The rebuild is $100, the 2wd sector shaft is $45, adn drilling and tapping for the fittings is $150. I was planning on doing it but the price put it out of the budget for now. I'm going to be getting a junkyard box for now and doing the hydro assist at a later date. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif </font color>

5. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I talked to Matt also at WTO and it is going to run 200.00 for him to rebuild a 2wd box and put the fittings for the ram assist steering. I found a couple of local 2wd boxes for 45.00, so with freight back and forth it will probalby run close to 300.00. I'm going this rought so my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifwon't be down while the steering box is getting modified and rebuilt, it's still my daily driver /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Shaggy, OL14BLAZ,

Sorry, I should have looked back at the price, I did that from memory, which was obviously bad. However, it is still a good deal to have the box rebuilt, change the sector shaft, and add the fittings for the ram. I recently had my box rebuilt, new sector shaft, and the ram. $399.00 for CK5 members. Now that price is correct!