Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box for Crossover

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by bigbluek20, Feb 3, 2002.

1. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Can someone help me fix my forklift? That is what it drives like now.

I finally got my crossover system put on this weekend. And the steering is reversed. Most notes on the web just mention getting a 2wd box. However, I found one elusion to getting t he box and swapping out the pitman shaft.

I assume that the latter is correct because, as far as I know, I have the right box (after two trips the junk yard... they couldn't tell the difference between a solid axle and an IFS Chevy).

So, here is my other part of this ordeal. My box was leaking (started leaking shortly after I ordered my crossover). The salvage yard box is in great shape. What parts would I need to swap from my 4wd box to the 2wd unit to make this work (as opposed to swapping the pitman shaft from the 2wd to the 4wd box). If I just need to replace the valve and/or worm assembly, that would be better for me. If the rack piston needs swapped, I might have to weigh my options (as may be obvious, I have the factory service manual for service info, but of course it doesn't give part numbers).

I need to get back on the road soon... please advise (can someone at least confirm the subtle pitman shaft swap?)

[​IMG] Designing Tomorrow the Night Before Yesterday's Technology

2. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Not sure what exactly you have going on but from my experience, I found that the 2WD pitman arm can be installed in the 4WD box....without even removing the box from the frame. The main thing to do after the shaft swap is to adjust the backlash in the box for tight steering.

thebigdaddyof2

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If both boxes have the same hose connections, just bolt in the whole 2wd box. If not, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

After re-reading the original post....Is it possible he has the pitman arm indexed to the front instead of to the rear?
    Just a thought....

thebigdaddyof2

5. Stephen

Maybe so, only other option for reversed steering is to use a ford box, and they did have some saginaw looking boxes that swung the wrong way but I thought they were inside frame mounts?

SW-ORD

6. bigbluek20

No, double checked the pitman arm direction ... pointed back, right? (I think you would hit the frame reversed... if not, it would be close). After looking at the 2wd steering in the shop manual and speaking with the dealer about internal part differences, I am confident I have the wrong box.

I think my problem is the salvage yard I am using... the first one they gave me was some jobber off a late model IFS or an S series... it was an inside frame mount... should have looked at it closer before leaving. My clue on this second unit should have been that the guy was more interested in finding one that looked right instead of off of a truck. It had a wire through a bolt hole, so it must have been tagged and on the shelf (it was dry and clean on a snowy day). Time for the third trip. This time I pull it myself [​IMG].

But, another question comes to mind... why does AGR list different boxes for 2WD verses 4WD w/crossover?

7. Stephen

Don't know about the listing, maybe it means "2wd or 4wd w/ crossover" ?

SW-ORD

8. bigbluek20

Well, got the correct steering box... FINALLY. Third time was a charm (after going out and selecting the box myself).

Works nice... eliminated a lot of the bump steer... just a little bit of pull now under heavy braking... great stuff, Stephen.

I think I had my head screwed on backwards (made it easier to drive with the steering box going backward [​IMG]). AGR has different series for 2WD and 4WD, so they would obviously have different PN's.