Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box frame repair

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    I know there are many manu. that sell a weld on frame support for a repair of the frame from steering box cracks. But heres what I am planning:
    I had an old 3/4 ton frame that used to be a truck before I stripped it totally. I started cutting the frame into pieces today so I could get it to the dump... well, I was looking at the box mounting holes on this frame and it occurred to me that a guy might be able to use the same section of frame from the junk frame to cut out the weld on piece. So I proceeded to cut the frame up and ended up with this:
    Does this resemble the piece you would get when you buy the kit? Ive never seen one. I plan on trimming this piece down so it will lay flat on the outside of the frame, maybe a slight curve over the top and bottom of the frame rail, and weld it on.
    Any inputs? Anything else I should do? I am thinking of adding another brace of some sort the way that bolt on support kit goes, but I have to locate a pic of that too.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

May 21, 2000
    Same idea I had. No you will have to cut the top and bottom pieces off. The weld in kit you get is 3 pieces, you can see this somewhere here but couldn't find it where someone goes thru how to install one.