Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box FYI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If anyone wants to install locknuts on there steering box bolts so the bolts won't loosen up here is the info.

Needed:

3 grade 8 7/16" coarse thread bolts 1.5 or 1.75" long
    3 grade 8 7/16" coarse thread locknuts

Just install some longer grade 8 bolts and and locknuts and that is it. I used 1.75" bolts on my box with nylock locknuts. I used 1 washer on the inside of the framerail. I also have the weld in steering box brace kit. I had plenty of thread left on the bolts so 1.5" bolts could probably be used without problem unless you use a couple washer. Metal locknuts would probably work fine too. Looks like there is plenty of room for them to clear. The steering box obviously has 4 bolts but the bottom front bolt can't really be reached to get a locknut on. Just use a good bolt and washer. Lockwasher might be good too or some Loc-Tite.

Harley

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif should be getting around to that in a couple months /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I highly suggest you get yourself a bolt on brace, whether you get it from me or not. The weld on patch is not enough.

4. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I highly suggest you get yourself a bolt on brace, whether you get it from me or not. The weld on patch is not enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean use both a weld on and a bolt on brace ?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean use both a weld on and a bolt on brace ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean use the bolt on brace, period. I do not suggest the weld patch to anyone. If they want to run it, that's fine, but it doesn't add any strength really. The bolt on brace is where it's at. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I have both on my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They work together well.