Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box going out?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jan 14, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

today while driving i noticed my truck wouldnt turn left unless forced past a binging point but turned right fine, i pulled over to see what was wrong, and it turns fine now ????
    i didnt do anything when i pulled over, it was like i tried turning left when the tires were against a curb, but when i give a small amount of "umph" to the turn, it passed the bind and turned fine

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You just changed the pump so I would say it is just air in the system. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

oh yeah, i just changed the pump. i forgot to mention that /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif how do i get air out of the system?

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Search /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif it has been posted before.

just jack up the front of the truck and cycle the wheels slowly back and forth and make sure the fluid level is full

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

ok sorry, search is my first thing i usually do, but i didnt know how to search for the problem, and once i found the solution, i didnt think to search, just ask how to fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

My TA does the same thing and it is the steering box. Sucks too, it is a bitch to find a replacement WS6 steering box for a 79 TA. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

just messing with you, to bad you aren't a newbie. Or it would have been more like this:

Search Newbie [​IMG]

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    My TA does the same thing and it is the steering box. Sucks too, it is a bitch to find a replacement WS6 steering box for a 79 TA. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you can also use 82-92 third gen box, but you might have to swap line fittings, also there were two boxes,. the 605 and the 800, the 800 was reserved for Z28 and trans am and has larger pitman shaft diameter and so pitman arms will not interchange with the boxes. the 800 has bolted on pitman shaft cover and the 605 are not bolted on

you can also use impala SS box, 67-69 F and A body boses too, etc, any that might be quicker ratio like ytour most likely is