Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box Input Seal Issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chalet2506, Feb 10, 2007.

1. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just put a new seal on the input shaft to my steering box. No problem, then I put the collar back on and tightened it. My steering wheel is off 45 deg., so I took the collar off and checked make sure I had the alignment right and everything looks good. My wheels are turned a hair to the right, but not enough to justify that much turn in the steering wheel. WTF happened?

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  2. chalet2506

Chalk the steering wheel looking like it was off to slop in the steering. However, I got it all back together, and it's leaking as bad as it was. Any ideas, other than the possibility of me putting it the seal in wrong? I made sure the shaft was clean before installing and followed instructions- http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142812&highlight=steering+box

3. chalet2506

that ought to get some views. Seriously, any ideas?

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Could have marred the seal somewere, or it coule be leaking around the seal area, and not fixable. I have fixed that seal once with sucess. The seals are cheap..my advice is try it once more time, and if it still leakes the same it might be the housing. Inspect it real good when you take it apart.

5. chalet2506

Let's say the seals good and it is leaking between the housing and the seal. How about a little RTV around the backside of the next seal? When I press it in it should fill any voids between the seal and housing. If it works, it will beat replacing the gear box.

6. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The problem might be deeper in the box. That seal is only meant to keep dirt out, not to keep fluid in. Were talking about 1200 PSI. You might have to go and rebuild the box.