Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box interchange?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big pappa b, Jan 5, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

What year truck can I get a 2wd steering box from for my crossover steer? I have an 80 K5. Can I use up to a 91 model??

Thanks

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if it is same box design, im sure they are, but im not that sure, but i imagine on the burbs and blazers through 91 they are same as pickup 87 older i bet

the common integral worm and ball p/s boxes been in use since late 68

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

you have to get one from a 73 - 80

81 or 82 is when they changed the fittings from flare to 0-ring....unless you want to change all your hoses also, get one from above said yrs.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i assumed he wants just the 2wd shaf,t but then yeah he did say entire box, so yeah in 80 the box casting changed to o ring type fittings

good luck

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    you have to get one from a 73 - 80

81 or 82 is when they changed the fittings from flare to 0-ring....unless you want to change all your hoses also, get one from above said yrs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Very important to remember that! I got a steering box off a 76' blazer because mine leaked terribly on my 85'. Got the boxes switched(it's a b!tch to do I might add /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif) just to find out the fittings weren't the same when I wen't to install the hoses, tried to take a shortcut and get an earlier hose but the pumps are also different. When I was done I had taken a loss on a non returnable steering box, another 80's box, new pump (ruined the old one) an all new hoses. Man... I could have really used CK5's knowledge, damnit! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Anyway don't make the same mistake, make sure the fittings are the same and don't just look at the exterior of the boxes because they are identical besides the fittings.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    just to find out the fittings weren't the same when I wen't to install the hoses, tried to take a shortcut and get an earlier hose but the pumps are also different.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can make the hose work (return fitting angle is only difference I know of, besides the mounting studs) you can swap the old fitting on the pump into the new pump, or vise versa.

Have a 1974 PS pump on my truck, with an '81 steering box, and some lines I had laying around that happened to have close to the right bends in them.

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    just to find out the fittings weren't the same when I wen't to install the hoses, tried to take a shortcut and get an earlier hose but the pumps are also different.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, well it doesn't matter now because I replaced everything allready but I kind of destroyed the fittings when trying to get the hose out. It was an easy decision to just get a new pump though because My old box leaked so bad that it would run dry every couple of hundred miles and I knew that that wasn't easy on the pump and I wanted to not have to mess with it for a while anyway.

If you can make the hose work (return fitting angle is only difference I know of, besides the mounting studs) you can swap the old fitting on the pump into the new pump, or vise versa.

Have a 1974 PS pump on my truck, with an '81 steering box, and some lines I had laying around that happened to have close to the right bends in them.

[/ QUOTE ]

8. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm, well it doesn't matter now because I replaced everything allready but I kind of destroyed the fittings when trying to get the hose out. It was an easy decision to just get a new pump though because My old box leaked so bad that it would run dry every couple of hundred miles and I knew that that wasn't easy on the pump and I wanted to not have to mess with it for a while anyway.