Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box issues with crossover steering?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Jun 2, 2004.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

My truck has 6" of suspension lift. I went fourwheeling Easter weekend, with totally stock steering (except dropped pitman arm and 2" block on D60 axle). Many times I found myself in situations where I could not steer the truck, because of how the front axle was flexed. I also sheared the spring centering pin on the passenger side, which did not help steering response.

Anyway, I decided that before I went wheeling again, I would install crossover steering, so I could have better control of my truck. I ordered a kit from ORD, and had my box rebuilt by WTO.

This past Memorial Day weekend, I went fourwheeling again, hoping to see an obvious steering improvement, but I was rather disappointed. I could steer to the right all day long, but not to the left very well, sometimes not at all.

After the weekend, at home in the driveway, I played around with the drag link adjustment, checked for binding, etc, but couldn't find anything wrong. The only thing I noticed was that as long as the front axle and tires were off the ground, it steered well and easily and the same amount on both sides, and the steering knuckle stops would contact the housing. When the truck is on the ground, and the full weight of the vehicle is on the tires, I cannot turn the truck all the way to the left, nor does the steering knuckle stop touch the housing (about an inch from stopping). Turning to the right is no problem.

I have correctly installed top notch products, but the results were not as good as I hoped. I'm wondering if I broke something ini the steering box itself, as the pump and belts and linkage appear to be fine.

What do you guys think, and what would you do? Thanks for any useful input!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Does your steering arm have 1 or 2 holes in it for the draglink? Which on did you use? You should be in the hole farthest forward. If you are not you are not getting full steering power.

Have you checked the belt on the pump for slipping?

Harley

3. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I am in the correct hole, and no, the belt is not slipping. But thanks!

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like you may need Hydro Assist.
    Cross over will not increase the steering power produced from the box. With your tires you might not have the force needed to turn?
    Try varying the air pressure in the tires and turning them. If it starts to turn to full lock as you increase tire pressure you need more steering force.
    Also double check the obvious. Fluid level and length adjustments, Look for frame cracks.

5. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

First the obvious: were you suporting the truck (when the tires were off the ground) by the frame or by the axle? If it was by the frame and the suspension was fully drooped go back and suport it by the axle and reajust your drag link.

Second thing I would look at are your steering joints...both the king pins and the u-joints. I have seen bad king pin bearings cause the exact problems you describe. Jack the tires off the ground, pull the tierod/drag link and cycle the steering by hand (also when pulling up on the nuckel) to see if you feel a bind.

Third I would look at the steering box...call WTOR and ask for sugestions about how to inspect it.

6. rcurrier44

Oh and when turning while on the ground check to see if the axle vs. body moves side to side. You could have side flex in your suspension causing this.

On the same lines look at your frame ware your steering box mounts, is it cracked and flexing. Does it move when steering is cycled, this will cause similer simptoms.

7. rcurrier44

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like you may need Hydro Assist.
    Cross over will not increase the steering power produced from the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he needed more power than he would have trouble turning both directions. Sure cross over can increase the steering power produced if you set it up to give you more leverage... but you will loose stroke

8. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

my steering is hard to turn sometimes i jerks all around and it's a bitch to turn espesally when aired down /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i think the broblem lies in what i believe would be called the sector shaft bearing /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif the shaft you pitman arm bolts to i think it wore out from all the side to side impact i don't know it you have the same problem or not.
    the other thing i can think of is maby its not blead out good enough /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I have checked all of those things, I suspect the box itself may be damaged. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

10. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Did you do the pump mods???

I experianed the same things before I made the adjustments to mine.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Also...before I had hydro-assist...
    my front springs would move side to side...
    when turning...