Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box leak

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Nov 30, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Its a junk yard 2wd box and its leaking where the stering shaft comes in, is that a hard seal to rreplace? and how do you change the fluid in those, mine looks kinda nasty, i figured just un hook one of the lines and turn the wheel but im looking for somthing a little less messy

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

nobody?please?

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

If this is what you are referring to then No it is not that hard to fix. Go to your local parts store and purchase a rebuild kit. The round ring with the 2 holes does not need to come off if I remember correctly. Basically you take the snap ring off and their is a seal and a dust cap that can be replaced. That's how I fixed mine, if I remember correctly. Let me know if you have any other ???? Also with getting the fluid out I don't know of any other way than what you have mentioned. Just don't do what I did ( I am a dumbass) and take the return line off and fire up the engine. I shot power steering fluid all over the roof of the car port like John Holmes. Very messy to clean up

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

YA THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT, IM GOING TO TRY TO DO IT THE THE TRUCK CAUSE ITS A pita TO TAKE THE BOK OUT WITH THE BRACE IN AND PLUS I USED RED LOC-TITE, aww crap i just noticed the caps lock, sorry im doinn stuff at work i had it on, but anyway thaks alot,
    dale

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Thanks for posting, I was wondering the smae thng, since my started to leak also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

What about the seal where the shaft for the pitman arm comes out, is that in the kit also? Is it very hard to replace? Does the rebuild kit come with parts to take the "slop" out of my box?

7. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    What about the seal where the shaft for the pitman arm comes out, is that in the kit also? Is it very hard to replace? Does the rebuild kit come with parts to take the "slop" out of my box?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am interested in this seal as well I nned to change both. I see autozone sells each seal seperately for around $7 and $9, but the rebuild kit is like $30 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif what else does the kit have?

Also just a side note seventyK5 did this and found out that some truck and Blazer boxes take different seals so ake sure you know what your box is from. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for posting, I was wondering the smae thng, since my started to leak also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    no prob bro, and no matter what thet 'tard from the east-coast says, your blazer is bad ass!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I don't think I paid $30 bucks for the seal, I cn't remember if I told them it was the input shaft kit or not. As for the seal for the sector shaft I don't know how hard it would be. Taking the sector shaft out is really easy though. Just loosen the four bolts on top and tap the shaft from the bottom. Hope this helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I tend to discourage do it yourselfers from trying to rebuild a steering box--even reputable rebuilders have a few that dont come out well.But if you must try,this is how I get the pitman shaft seals out.Remove the pitman arm(might need a puller--pickle forks can trash the housing!)--after the arm is off,remove the snap rings that hold the seal in(most boxes have 2,some have only 1-)and place a large drain pan under the pitman shaft,spread speedi-dri around the pan and under the truck,start the engine,turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right and hold it against the stop for a few seconds--you should hear the seal blow into the pan,along with most of the P/S fluid--its better to do it this way than to try and pry the seal out with a pick,that usually boogers the housing up and makes it difficult if not impossible to install the new seal and snap rings.As for the seal on the rag joint end--good luck--every box I even touched at that end leaked,new seal or not,even if I just turned the nut to adjust some play out of the box it ended up being a disaster,and I bought a used box at the junkyard--maybe its just me,but I have no luck trying to rebuild steering boxes--and I dont like messing with critical parts than can kill you or other people if they fail--I leave rebuilding them to the experts,or get a good used one.... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    no prob bro, and no matter what thet 'tard from the east-coast says, your blazer is bad ass!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks man, I appreciat it!