Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Apr 20, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I have not looked at it closely yet, but my steering box is leaking. Can you replace the seals on these? Where can you get the seals? Do you have to take the box off? Will I need to get an alignment when I am done. I think it is at the axle end not the column end if that helps.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

This seems to have happened to all of us. I know there are a lower and upper seal, some members have replaced just the seal and would know how it is done. I just replaced the hole box. It cost $150 after core charge and it has a lifetime wrty. The seal kits are around $12-30 if I remember right, I figured after 20 years it would not hurt to replace it. Replacing was easy enough, and if you replace it or just the seals, an extra set of hands helps holding the box to take it off and on. There were only 3 bolts on the frame to the box, and one nut from the column to the box and the nut on the pitman arm.

[​IMG]

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Yes you can replace the seals. How? Don't ask me. NAPA or any two bit part store should have that seal for your "pitman shaft". Taking the box off is adviasable. An alignment will not be necessary but it might not hurt to set all the preloads on the box. Just a few adjustments, I did a little write up on how to do a few posts back. Basically all I did was put down what this '81 GM service manual says.

[​IMG]

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Have a closer look. I will bet that it is the supply/pressure line that is leaking and not the box itself. It maybe but I would check the line first. This would be the cheapest and easiest fix. That is where mine is leaking from. And most of the chevy's I have seen leak from the line. This only another thing that GM let slip through the cracks at the building block.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimmy 350TBI-TCI 700R4-241-33" BFGs-10 bolts w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

5. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

My steering box had oil all over it, and I couldn't tell for sure where it was coming from. So here's what I did. I sprayed the box with simple green and then took it to the coin-op car wash. I cleaned it up good and drove it for a couple of days to let it leak some more so I could tell where the oil was coming from. It turned out the tightening nut on the allen head adjustment screw on top of the box was loose and the oil was coming from there. I re-adjusted the screw, tightened down the nut and cleaned the excess oil off the top of the box with solvent. After 3+ months there is no more evidence of a leak.
    I suggest cleaning it good first so you exactly where the oil is coming from. Good Luck.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".