Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box leaks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az ranger, Jun 10, 2004.

1. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

Mine has the 2wd steering box for the crossover. it just started leaking like a sive. it has preety much sat for last year and now i have been driving it a lot maybe seals dried or something
    Anybody rebuild one? was it easy and worth the time or should i buy a new one or get one from bone yard. it seems to be leaking where the steering shaft meets the box.

thanks

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

mine was actaully doing that AFTER i got it rebuilt. It was just that something (i forgot) was screwed in too far and the seal wasn't sealing it all the way.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

After checking to see if everything is tight, if it's leaking from a seal, I would suggest trying some of that power steering/ stop leak stuff.

I used to think it was hokey, but seeing what silicone spray did to a hydraulic jack that leaked, I'm a believer that if it's just hardened seals, a bottle of that stuff (or maybe a couple depending on how much you need to replenish before the contents start to make a difference) may work wonders for you. Definitely worth a shot in my opinion.