Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box leaks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillR, Mar 18, 2000.

1. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 K5 with a leaky power steering box. Has anyone had much luck with resealing the box, or do I need a new one?

Blazin' in Flagstaff

2. OLDSTEEL

OLDSTEEL 1/2 ton status

I have seen it done both ways, the resealing is cheaper, but i personally would go with putting a new one in as long as you have the box out. It saves time to.

3. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Its not that tough of a job, I've done the column shaft one, it was easy, There is a past post from the Grim Reaper, he details the new seal job pretty well...WK

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My Ears were burning. Yeah the reseal is messy but hay you can replace the seals for under $15 and the cost of the hoses if you need them. the trick on the output is read the instructions with the seals first. If you remove the c clip and give it full left crank before removing it from the truck it will blow the seals out. Just leave the arm on so you can see how the seals and shims stack. ITS REAL MESSY.
    The trick I found on the input seal was I drilled a couple of holes in the seal being carefull not to nick the shaft. I then took a cotter pin extractor and yanked the seal out. I didn't have to open the box this way. Been nice and dry ever since. If you got some play you can tighten it up with an Alan Key and wrench on the top of the box. You can overtighten this so make small adjustments (1/4 to 1/2 turn) and drive to see how it feels.
    I was going to toss on a new box but the idiots at the parts store couldn't tell me if their box was a close ratio or the standard ratio. My 79 has the close and I like it much better than the standard in my 75.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper