Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box Moving?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to track down some steering pop issues, and in doing so, I noticed the steering box itself moves when under strain.

I installed ORDs bolt in steering brace when I starting modifying the truck years ago. I checked all the bolts, and they are still tight. No visiable cracks in the frame, but maybe there are some under the box?

The problem, is when turning the steering wheel the steering box pivots up and down. As the front of the steering box raises up, the rear drops down; and visa-versa. I can clearly see the movement by watching the steering box and frame rail at the same time.

Could the ORD bolts be too small in diamater allowing the box to pivot? Is this normal?

Thanks,
    Thomas.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd pull the box and have a look-see underneath... if your frame is dirty there use some degreaser or something and get down to metal so you can do a detailed search. Sounds to me like the frame is cracked. If the bolts are torques down, I doubt its play in that thats the problem... mainly because there are multiple blots holding it on. At any rate, removing a steering box isnt all that hard and if there is a crack there its better to know about it sooner rather than later!

j

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Mine does the samething, no popping though. I'm pretty certain my frame is cracked behidn the box.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

There's a good chance too that if its been doing that for some time that you've [best laketex voice]wallered out them holes![/best laketex voice] Maybe a weld in ORD kit is in your future? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Dan