Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box noises???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by moneypit, Sep 3, 2000.

1. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I have a 86 Blaz w/new steeering box and it is making creeking noises. Would like to ditch it and go with something different that can handle the stress any suggestions on wich way to go??

2. Heath-La. 89GMC

Heath-La. 89GMC 1/2 ton status

Are you sure its the steering box and not the frame under the box? My box started making screeching and popping noises and I looked and the box while somebody turned the wheel with the engine off. The whole box stared moving and the frame was busted. Ive heard of a lot of trucks doing that. Oh well, just a suggestion.

3. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Thanx man I'll check it out tommorrow!!!!!

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I've run into a few of the Chevy frames that are cracked around the steering gearbox. There are a couple of companies that sell reinforcement kits for $50-$60. A good investment for the extra safety factor.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

6. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Your steering gear box is the strongest gear driven part on your truck! Hands down! They are powerful enough to break spring center pins, pretzel tie rods, crack hardened frames, and if your wheels are locked tightly in boulders, break sector shafts that make you axel shafts look small (yes, I learned the hard way).They will wear, but they will not break internaly. The sector shaft is the main weekness with the box. I`d bet that you have a frame, not a box problem.

7. Heath-La. 89GMC

Heath-La. 89GMC 1/2 ton status

I welded mine up after it busted. It cracked again a cuople of months later. The bolts that hold the sector on there were getting loose. I found that if I kept those bolts tight, especially the ones toward the front, It stayed ok. But, just be sure to keep em tight.