Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rrent, Oct 20, 2001.

1. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I'm needing a new steering box - mine is leaking and being the stock one - almost 30 years old. I'm not sure exactly what years will fit '73-'82? I'd like to get one from a local auto parts store after a quick price check.

thanks in advance
    Ronnie

'72 Blazer mostly stock original "Baby Poop" yellow color

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

If you're getting one from a parts store, you should just tell them what year Blazer you have and let them figure out which one you need by using their parts books. IIRC, the parts store rebuilt boxes are pretty expensive and you might as well buy an AGR box for that kind of money.

3. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I just bought a rebuilt power-steering box from Autozone (with a lifetime warranty) for $160. I'm currently in the process of swapping out my manual steering system with a power one, and Autozone said they'll take my old gear box as a core exchange (also $160), even though it's not the same type of box.

4. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

Very good - that's what I'm looking for. Did you ask for the correct year (i.e. '71-'72) I know sometimes when asking for such an old part you get that dazed look, and the obligatory "not in the computer" - unless you get lucky and the person behind the counter can and will look in an actual parts book.

'72 Blazer mostly stock original "Baby Poop" yellow color

5. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I pulled the brackets, pullies and apparently new hydraulic pump off a '75 K10 pickup at a local salvage yard (a very lucky find-- it even had front RS9000's, which I also bought... I should have also bought the rear 14-bolt FF). I then bought new hoses, belts, water pump, and gear box at Autozone. I confirmed with them that the gear box they sold fit both my '71(which their computers covered) and the '75. They're the same model. All together the swap should cost around $250. Not bad at all.

6. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

I hope you catch this reply...
    I just got through rebuilding my steering gear box last year for 55 dollars (rebuild kit) and I did it myself. I had to pay another 15 dollars for another gasket that was the real culprit. The top cover gasket where those four bolts are on top... Well the rebuild was tricky at first, but not real hard... I found out the hard way that a late model steering gear box will not work for you even though it looks the same because the fitting of the lines will be different... unless you get custom lines made specifically for you and that late model gear box... Hope this helps.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeap after 79 or 80 the hose fittings are O ring type and not flared !

'72 K-5 4x4, CST, 3.07, 4 speed, NP 205, 31' x 10.5", converting to 2wd and pickup body(I did not want to do this- rust made me do it)