Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Jan 26, 2001.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I'm going to start gathering up the rest of the parts I need for crossover this week. I have 2 2WD steering boxes, how do I tell if the threads are metric or ASE? Also, does anyone have prices or part #'s for the ORD steering arm and stud kit? I cant find it on they're site. TIA</font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>

2. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

biggray71,

The easiest way to i.d. the difference is,

The early standard thread box uses inverted flare to seal the fitting. Remove the fittings and when looking at the 2 ports on the box youll see a bevel facing upwards that is what the inverted flare fitting seats on.

The later model metric box uses a special square cut o-ring to seal the fitting. The 2 ports are a straight shot in with just a small step for the oring to seal on.

I'm not sure on the ORD stuff, so cant help ya there.

Hope this helps, [​IMG]
    Konajoe

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>OK I'll check the flares tomorow. Somewhere in my garage is the 4WD box that came on my truck, it puked PS fluid two years ago so I changed it out. I'll try to dig that up tomorow and compare. thanks!</font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>