Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box quick question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

In the port for the pressure line, there is some sort of a valve... while I was getting towed 'dead stick' not running back to the road on May Long, apparently something happened inside with all the armstrong pressure I was using to steer it on the trail. Now even with the truck running, I dont get any power assist. I removed the input shaft end, and when I pulled the guts out, there was a little spring (or whats left of it) sticking into the body of the box from that valve in the port. So... I assume that the box wont function with power steering without this valve thing intact (the little center part was free floating and turned and appeared to be blocking the input) , and I cant figure out how to get it out to replace it. there must be a kit for it, but how is it replaced? Cant be from the inside... the hole is too small... and I cant see any way to get it out from the port side. Is it really necessary for that valve to be there? This is a 90% trail rig (and moving towards 100% at a rapid rate) so I dont care of its some sort of a 'make the vehicle more road friendly' or something. If I can yank the little valve thing out and run it like that, I will.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Mike

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Nobody knows?
    Really?
    Mike