Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box ratios

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77fixer, Jul 16, 2004.

1. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Found out why I couldn't get my box back together. I had mixed up the rack pistons between two boxes.
    Now does anyone know how to determine ratios from the number of turns on the worm. One has 6 full turns and one has 8. Seems the one with 6 would be faster, but which would work better with a 1.5" ram.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmm. I started studying after reading your post. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Didn't find anything real valuable, but some interesting info (to me) here: look under "upgrading"

How many turns is the box you are working on lock to lock? Kind of curious to know if these are variable or constant ratio.

3. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I never thought to check lock to lock on these, assuming they were the same. One is from an 78 C25 (the one with 6 turns) and the other is out of a 74 K5.
    As far as the ratio, I think these are both constant since the the twist looks like it is equal from end to end.
    This has definitely been a learning experience. I am glad that I have done it.
    Just another thought, and I don't know if there is any relation at all, but it makes me wonder since they list a 12.7 and 16:1 and these worms have a full 6 turns and almost 8. Could mean absolutely nothing.