Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box rebuild kit!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by backyardbuilt, Jul 14, 2004.

1. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I have heard there is such a thing. My ? is who carries it, and does it come with the metal ring that hold the aluminum end cap in. Thanks

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I'd be interested in knowing too, especially if they make them for a 67-72 pickup.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a complete box out of my 98. Ther sector shaft bushings are shot but if the end cap retaining ring is the same you can have it. Not too sure how you would find out if they are the same though

4. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Napa has it...I've got one at home right now that I need to install. As for the ring, I'm not sure but I can check tonight /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. backyardbuilt

The problem with the ring is getting it out you bend it all to hell.

Stomper that would be cool if you could see if the ring comes with the kit. What is the part # for it.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I got the ring out of mine last year by draining all the fluid and striking the end cap with a rubber mallet a few times. Then get the ring out with a scribe. It was pretty easy.

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am assuming you all are talking about the snap ring on the front parr of the box (round cap). The trick to it is the little 1/8" hole at the top. Rotate the ring around to that hole and use a small punch/pick to push the ring out of its groove. Then pry it out. I do hear ya on how easy it is to ruin that friggin thing though.

8. backyardbuilt

Thats the ring I'm talking about mine is screwed becuase the steering box had alot of undercoating sprayed on it, so I had to peel it out with a friend and we killed it. Can I get a new one.

9. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/index.html
    Give Matt a call. If there is a kit they will let you know, if not he can re-build it for you. I have dealt with them and have nothing but good things to say. Even if there isnt a kit and you dont want to pay for shipping yours he will talk to you if he isnt too busey.

10. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Ok, what I've got is a<font color="red"> "Stearing gear seal kit" Napa 7-182</font>. This is for a 85' c-10 box. The big ring you want IS in the kit, along with all the seals, snap rings, o-rings and washers. There are no bearings but unless the box has been full of water and they are rusted it shouldn't need them imo. Not exactly sure on price but I'm thinking it was in the $30 range. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gifAlso there is another kit, smaller, all it has is seals for the pitman arm.$14ish Got it the first time by mistake. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats the ring I'm talking about mine is screwed becuase the steering box had alot of undercoating sprayed on it, so I had to peel it out with a friend and we killed it. Can I get a new one.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want mine let me know and i will mail it out to you.

12. backyardbuilt

Stomper thanks for the info I will check with napa here and hope they have one in stock. Box worked great just a little leak, but I'm doing my hydro steering now and went with the drilled caps so need that kit. Thanks

13. backyardbuilt

Readymix since this kit should work I'll use it but thanks for the offer check the link in my sig I'll give ya a discount on something if ya need anything, if not thanks for the offer.

14. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

If you haven't tapped the caps yet then you might want to check out this site. steering box tapping
    The problem I have now is that I can't get the rack piston and worm back together with the balls. I also have the kit from NAPA, was $36. It didn't show on the computer, they had to look it up in the book.
    Brett

15. backyardbuilt

Got the kit, it is the one. I already drilled tapped put the fittings in and everything. I'm not gonna rebuild the whole box just the end cap and the part where the steering shaft hooks up at. So far I have maybe 110$ in my hydro setup.Thats for everything ram, lines, fittings, rebuild kit, and mounts.

16. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Where did you get your ram? Is it a 1.5 or 2"? What type of ends? I am having trouble finding one for cheap. All the agricultural rams I'm finding are 2" and I think that will be too slow for street driving.
    Brett

17. backyardbuilt

Mine is 2" with a 1.25" shaft 2500 psi from harbor frieght it has the 1" clevis ends. It is a big ram but should work just fine I have seen one in action and it didn't steer any slower than if it wasn't there. It was 49.99 I got there hoses and fittings with it all shipped for 75$.

18. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I would like to see pictures when you get it done, just to see how the clevis ends look.
    I figured out my problems. I had two boxes apart and mixed some parts up.

19. backyardbuilt

I will definetely post up some pics when its done (soon I hope). The pins for the clevis ends are 1" so my neighbor is gonna mill the holes in the 3/8ths plate I'm using for my mounts. I am gonna use thick walled pipe as spacers to fill in the difference on the width of the clevis. The mount for the axle is gonna be bolt on and I am looking into making the tie rod side bolt on to, just not to sure on how just yet, have some ideas though.