Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box rebuild?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, May 20, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Can a steering box be rebuilt, seals and such, while still on the truck, or does it have to be removed?

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

From what I understand, you will have to remove it. And why not? you have to disconnect the steering shaft and the steering arm to get to all the components. I gotta think once you do all that, dropping it should be too tough. And rebuilding something like that on a workbench or garage floor where you can get it and you in any position needed may be MUCH easier than trying to do it under the rig.

Just my 2 pennies.

3. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

I would remove it from the truck. It's not that hard. I have a factory service manual for several 70's era Oldsmobiles, that has the detailed rebuild instructions for a GM power steering pump and steering box. I believe all GM recirculationg ball power steering boxes were basically the same except for the ratio for many years until they went to that rack and pinion crap. If you would like a copy, send a PM.