Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box ripped off frame need advice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

well tellico kick my ass hardcore this weekend first flip it on 2 and f-ed up my windshield, windshield frame, and my roof pretty bad along with the back half, now I know need a cage then the next day I was at crawfords on the rock garden w/ 2 boulders left and I lost my steering so after figuring out that my steering box ripped off the frame i had to rachet strap it on to the frame and get some on to winch me side ways, yes I have frame braces and it didnt crack the frame even it broke one bolt off, broke the steering box by on bolt and ripped the other two straight through the frame :doah: so now I have a lot of choices to make to the body, cage, and then steering 1st body then steering and keep in mind money is tight

1st- leave the body alone, but the windshield got popped out of the windshield frame b/c its the frame is bent to hell and put in roll cage, and I hate the way it looks

2nd take it to the bodyshop see what he can do, (i know the guy and he can hook me up w/ a good price) then put in cage

3rd try to bend it back in place cut the roof off and and rear fenders and truggy it out

now steering

1st find somebody to weld in a piece of metal to the inside frame rail to fix the holes and get hydro assit, new steering box and hopefully it will fix it

2nd go full hydro steering- sell my crossover to help pay for it, and its a trail only rig

Or buy a beater truck and start all over

what do you guys think, like I said money is tight so help me out and if you have any other suggestions let me know :confused:

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you had a blast. Wheres the pics?

I'd go with the full cage, narrowed truggy. Patch the frame and get back out there and wheel some more. If you go the beater route I'll keep an eye out for you. You wanting a truck or another K5?

3. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

:waytogo: :waytogo: :saweet: :saweet:

4. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

If it was me I would go to full hydro, I heard you can do It for pretty cheap and you dont have to worry about breaking the steering box off the frame

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had one rip off the frame before frame braces, who knew 40's on stock steering :doah: It also too out the radiator and bent the frame. Took half a day to straighted and re-inforce the frame. Now have both weld and bolt in braces. Even after braces before crossover the box broke again. Two bolts broke and it was hinging on the other 2 bolts that streched and bent. Ratchet strapped it on and got home, new bolts and was fine. Full out truggy is awesome but it isn't that hard to fix the frame. I have also spliced in a rear section of frame from cab back after I got rear-ended and it folded the frame up.

6. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

first I gotta go to the local fab shop to see how much $$$, Im looking for either a truck or a cj-7, yj, camera went dead I can get some of the frame though :D

7. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

this is what Im thinking for the back half this guys k5 is on this site and Id really like to know whos it is
    [​IMG]
    and heres the only pic I have from that day over a 1000 baby rear tire was on the ramp (well it was but the gf got a little excited and took the pic early) :rolleyes: :D before I destroyed it :doah:
    [​IMG]

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How much nicer was the weather this trip? I've got to get back to Tellico.....when the sun is shinning. I had a perfect 87 cab I scrapped right before April.

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

That is my friend Russel's truck. PM me if you want more info on it.

But I would go full hydro and be done with it. Repairing the frame to make it strong again is going to be difficult. Sell the crossover and that WILL pay for the full hydro.

10. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

There is a 76-79 K-5 about 4 miles from me that he told me he'd take $700.00 for a while back. I bet he'd take $500.00 now. Body had a little rust thru around the fenders. All stock, with a motor that has a malfunction of some kind, what he didn't know.