Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box swaps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcpilot, Feb 6, 2003.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Will a '85 GMC 4wd steering box fit a '76 K5.. I checked wiht Kragen on line and they are different part #'s..
    Thanks

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure the 85 will not fit the 76 the frames are too different. If I'm wrong someone will correct me I'm sure /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Can't answer it directly. Not enough knowlegde. But see if the bolt patterns are the same for mounting. Wish I could help more. Only thing I could come up with.Good Luck

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm thinking the box will bolt up, the difference is the threads on the box for the fluid lines, thats why the part # difference. You can swap the fitting on the back of the PS pump with a newer one, so you can run the newer hoses.

The fitting on the newer ones is like the AC connections, with an o-ring, while the "old" ones were just flared.

I guarantee someone knows for sure if it just bolts up, it's just too early in the morning /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

in 79 through 80 they changed that threads on the pump and the gearbox if you change the gearbox you will have to change the pump and hoses aswell i think they will bolt up the same but dont quote me on that. they look the same with exception if the fittings. i gust payed 50 for a pre 79 pump, pbracket, pullys and belts because i didnt have any of them (i think i payed to much but o well) any ways hope that helps /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The fitting for the pressure hose on the back of the pump unthreads. You don't have to change the pump itself, just get the fitting of the correct style and swap it. Then you can run the newer hose with the new gear box.

7. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

that would have bin nice to know o-well

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah box is same other than the hose ends style, that can be gotten around

good luck

9. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I changed mine from manual to power steering a year ago mine is a 77 and I went with a 1980 box and pump the only change is flared fittings to o-ring on the hoses,The threds also changed.the pump I got had the flared so I changed the valve in the back of the pump to match the o- ring hoses. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif mike