Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box to frame strenght upgrades?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by weisel, Sep 5, 2003.

1. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Besides the brace that bolts to the back what else can be done to strenthen the frame?
    I thought I had a cracked frame so I took the box off and hurray, no crack. But I want to make it stronger anyways, while I have the box off.

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

There is a weld on kit to strengthen the frame, not a bad idea. Check ORD, think they sell it.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The weld on kit and the brace that triangulates the from from ORD are the main bits. The ultimate add-on to avoid cracking the frame - hydro assist. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

4. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

First thing that went for me was the frame at the steering box. Bought the weld on and did the frame repair and install. No more problems with cracking after a year and a half. I couldn't install the bolt on brace because of the drive shaft for my PTO winch being in the way. Haven't had any more problems with the frame cracking though.

One hint with the install of the weld on that they don't really tell you. Before you weld, tighten the four bolts all the way down with an impact wrench in order to suck the "Fish Plate" down to the frame. Much easier than beating it to death to fit the shape of the frame. Then do the welds. Follow the instructions on the welds. Then remove the four bolts and re-install the steering box...

5. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I like landsmashers idea of sucking the plate to the frame(it would have helped me) and if you do find cracks be sure to drill the ends of the crack before yoy weld the crack that will stop it from tearing more.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I've been looking at the weld on piece. I wish someone would do a tech article so I'd know how that piece goes on. It goes between the box and frame or on the other side?

I know I'm long overdue on re-inforcing my frame. My old frame was not cracked in front. This one was, but some dumbass welded it halfass an I haven't touched it since I put my body on the frame. I'd ran out of money when doing the frame swap so I didn't get to buy the kit.

Which is more worthwile to do first, the weld on kit or the bolt on? How many amp welder will be necessary to weld it down, is a 110 v MIG enough or should I use a stick welder? (one of my buddies has an awesome MIG an I could possibly use that, but he's hard to catch at home, stick welder will definitely work)

I just want to make sure that once I tackle this project that it's over for good. Most guys here seem to bolt the bolt on brace on an call it good. Is that enough? Does the weld on patch help more, or is the bolt on better if you're only going to do one or the other?

7. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

if the frame is cracked, you need the weld on kit at least, and possibly the brace as well. If it isn't cracked, I would call it good with the brace until if/when the frame cracks.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have just the weld on kit + hydro assist. No probs with 39.5 TSLs.

j