Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box years

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sope, Mar 12, 2007.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Anybody know the difference in steering boxes over the years. I was on the PSC websight and it lists a different box for 77 through 79 than 80 throgh 87.
    When I got my 2wdr box for my crossover I didn't even see what year it came off. It worked so I guess I got lucky. The reason I ask is there is a psc steering box for sale locally that is ready for assist. Would be perfect if it would fit my truck but I have an 87 and this one is for an77 throgh 79. Is there a way to make it work?

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

79 and down use a flared fitting on the PS lines and 80 up use the standard GM oring PS lines. You can get adapters to make your oring box a flare box but not the other way around.

Unless your box is crap I would just swap out the sector shaft and not even pull the box off of the frame.

Ira

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

While you have the top cap off of the other box I would drill and tap the top cap and get an end cap from JKWOFFROAD and not even bother tapping the box itself.

Ira