Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by offroadcowboy, Dec 2, 2004.

1. offroadcowboy

offroadcowboy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI am finishing up my 1 ton swap and have run into probs hooking up my x-over.My old 4 wheel drive box has different hose couplings than the new 2 wd box does so my questions are what are my options . can i get new hoses with new fittings or can i get my old hoses remade with new fitting just for the steering box or do i have to swap out the steering shafts from box to box. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ran into this problem myself when I replaced my old leaking box with a wrecking yard box. My guess is you have a 70's gear box like I bought.

I went and bought early model hoses because it looked like to me they would work with my late model pump. It didn't because the early fitting wouldn't tighten up completely. I wound up buying a new pump, late model lines, and exchanging the 70's gear box for an 80's box. You could possibly have custom lines made by a place that makes hydralic hoses but I doubt the GM fittings are standard hydro fittings. plus hydro hoses are expensive. I have hoses made for me all the time for all of our heavy equipment and they are very expensive.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Lee Manufacturing Co.\t
    11661 Pendleton St.\t
    Sun Valley, CA 91352
    818/768-0371\t\t

Makes these for GM's Specifically for making new boxes fit with old hoses . Basically you install this on the box , and them your hoses thread on .

[​IMG]

4. offroadcowboy

Thanks guys for the input. I think I have figured out what to do to fix it.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

swap fitting in back of pump for whichever style hoses you need and use the hoses you want
    79 was last of the old flare seat type fittings and hoses

80-up is O ring type

i thought everyone knew this by now, ppl should research before swapping parts, no matter what they are, gm changed alot of parts pretty often contrary to belief/assumptions, but many can be worked around with other stock parts

6. offroadcowboy

[ QUOTE ]
    swap fitting in back of pump for whichever style hoses you need and use the hoses you want

80-up is O ring type

i thought everyone knew this by now, ppl should research before swapping parts, no matter what they are, gm changed alot of parts pretty often contrary to belief/assumptions, but many can be worked around with other stock parts

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your help. I got the box from the guy that I got the axles from and lets just say that this hasnt been the only problem I have encountered. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Oh well live and learn.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

80-up is O ring type

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif