Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering box?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by joshua632, Feb 14, 2005.

1. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

recently I replaced the seal around the input shaft and the large O-ring that goes on the large round thingy that screws into the box around the shaft. Well anyway since that I not longer have Power steering and it tends to pull very hard to the right. Is it possible that I have put the box in some sort of bind? and is there as trick to putting that back together? I did a search but the only post I could find was old and the pictures where no longer supported. thanks!

2. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

3. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Pick up a GM/Chevrolet service manual. There is a very specific adjustment proceedure for the wormgear preload and sector shaft over center. If the adjustments are too tight the box will bind and potentially damage the bearings or gear.

4. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Can any one post a either a link to how this is done or a quick Clif Notes version? This is the last thing I have left on my S-10 hybrid and he'll be back on the road! :cool1:

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Here is a quick how to on setting sector shaft to worm gear pre-load that i did. I will try to find the section i wrote on setting the input preload but i am not sure where it is.

Free play in the steering wheel should not be adjusted by messing with the lash adjuster. This is to set the preload in the steering gear. If you don’t know what you are doing here I suggest that you leave it alone.

On the top of the steering box you will see 4 hex head 10mm bolts holding on an access cover. In the center of the access cover there is an adjustment screw with a counter tightening nylock nut.

The following adjustments must be made with drag link disconnected from pitman arm and flange removed from worm shaft.

Loosen lock nut and turn lash adjuster screw all the way in (clockwise), then out (counterclockwise) three turns. This will remove load imposed on worm bearings by close meshing of rack and sector teeth.

Using a socket on steering gear worm shaft, turn shaft from one stop all the way to the other carefully counting total number of turns.

NOTE: Do not turn hard against stops when drag link is disconnected as damage to ball guides may result.

Turn the shaft back one-half total number of turns to center position and using an inch-pound torque wrench, measure pull required to keep worm shaft in motion through center position. This should be 1-1/2 - 5-1/2 inch pounds. If indicated pull does not lie between given limits, make the following adjustments:

a. Loosen lock nut

b. Turn adjuster until required resistance to pull is reached.

c. Tighten lock nut and recheck pull. It must lie between limits specified after lock nut is tightened.

Note: Turn lash adjuster screw clockwise to remove lash and counter-clockwise to increase lash from gear teeth.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

7. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Thanks I didn't realize this would all be nessecary just to replace that leaky seal. If I had I probably would have just let it drip! HA! :grin:

8. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Ok Adjusting the box did nothing. :( This is not good, I am pretty sure I either put the box back together wrong or there is something screwy inside it. If I start the truck and just let it run for a few minutes it will actually turn the front wheels all the way to the right by its self! I can sit in the cab and watch the steering wheel move on its own! Kinda scary AH!! :) Any ideas?

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

steering box--or pandora's box?

Sounds scary!--I wouldnt drive it,never heard of a self steering power steering box!-:yikes: -I'd go get a good used box from the latest year that will fit your truck from a junkyard,its the easiest and cheapest way out--I havent seen too many rebuilt boxes that didnt leak or act up shortly after installation,seems good rebuilders are hard to find theese days..might want to grab the steering shaft that goes to the steering colum and the rag joint from the boneyard box,there are a few different spline sizes on GM trucks...:crazy:

10. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

thats my plan except the steering shaft, thats a custom thing cause this is on a hybrid s10 - K5. So anyone know what year is the latest that will fit a 86 k5?

11. joshua632

joshua632 Guest

Ok local yard says "you pull it and you can have it for $40" does that sound reasonable for a used unit?

12. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Very. Local yards in WA want $100.