Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zforce, Apr 27, 2001.

1. zforce

zforce Newbie

My 70' blazer has a lot of play in the steering. I think its the steering box that has most of the play. Does anyone now what years might fit to replace it?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Have you tried adjusting it yet? There is an allen head screw with a jam nut on top of the box. It is easy to over tighten the box so be carful and make small turns untill most of the slop is gone. Also your rag joint may be warn....
    good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

3. sean72

sean72 Registered Member

my 72 Jimmy was doing the same thing, also getting worse and worse, I finally crawled under there last night and the whole steering box was loose, hand loose, after tightning it up it works great again..

4. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

You might also check your rag joint. I replaced mine and it helped.

5. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

What's a rag joint? That in the column?

6. highwaydevil

highwaydevil 1/2 ton status

The rag joint is the rubber/cloth disc at the base of the upper column. (In between the joint for the column and the steering box.)

7. 69AZBlazer

69AZBlazer Registered Member

What happens if you overtighten? Steering too hard or too loose?

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

What the small adjuster on the top of the box does is adjust the gear lash. If you tighten it too much it will ware faster, be harder to steer, feel "lumpy", and could lock up in a turn. It is best to get the manual and do it right.
    The other thing that may need to be adjusted is the worm shaft bearings (the adjustment is just under the rag joint). You should adjust this first and than the gear lash. You need to disconnect the steering link (the tie rod that goes from the Pitman arm to the axle) and use an in-lb torque wrench (on the steering wheel nut) to measure the turning force (starting and continuous). The torque specks should be in the manual.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust