Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1978Blazerk5, Apr 25, 2007.

1. 1978Blazerk5

1978Blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey I have a 78 K5 there is alot of play in the steering wheel,i pretty much figure i need a new steering box. one of my friends said i should get a kwik-Ratio steering box.Is there any companies that make one? and what your opnion?

Thanks

2. socalslider

socalslider Registered Member

I had alot of play at the wheel, I repaced the drag link, now the truck is tight, I'd make sure it's the box before I'd replace it.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There's lots of things that cause play in our steering. The steering box is probably the least likley though.

See here: Clicky

And also remember, these trucks wern't super tight from the factory.

GM had variable ratio boxes on 69-74 model trucks and the CUCV trucks also have.
    I've never heard of a company making a 4wd quick ratio box, that doesn't really make much sense for 4x4's. There may be some 2wd saginaw boxes out there that have quick ratio if that's really what you want.

4. dsmd58

dsmd58 1/2 ton status

This is a great post..cause I have the same problem. What would cause the steering to not work properly until the truck is warm? It takes my rig about 2 minutes from when it starts up until the steering is responsive, could this be the power steering pump?

5. 73k5blazer

That does sound more like a steering pump problem. That could also be a box problem. But I'd start with the pump. Check fluid, is there enough? Too much? Is it the right color, consistancy? Is it bubbling or frothing alot? Do you have hydroboost on your truck? Is the belt tight? Does the belt squeal at all?

6. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Mine was loose when I bought it, and I was told if I tightend an adjustment bolt on top of the box, that it would tighten it up?

I've also read on here somewhere that sometimes everything related to the steering system needs to be tightend. And a steering box brace helps a lot too from what I hear. I plan on ordering mine this summer.

7. 73k5blazer

Tighting the allen bolt on the top of your box won't remove any play from the system.
    What it will do is place more pre-load on the sector shaft. (Requireing more effort from you to turn the wheel, more torque input from you that is).
    It will not remove play, that is not it's design. Additionally, if you overtighten that bolt, you can break the sector shaft over time, leaving you in a potentially very bad situation going down the road.
    I would avoid tightning that bolt.
    YOu would only be masking the symtoms slightly, if at all

The ORD steering brace is an excellent upgrade, but it's more for preventing cracks in the frame than for reducing slop in the steering.
    The most likely candidates for slop is the drag link, the tie-rod and the collapsable steering shaft.
    Other high on the list are ball joints and wheel bearings.