Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KMH87K5, Jun 12, 2002.

1. KMH87K5

KMH87K5 Registered Member

I need to replace the steering box on 79 CJ-7 w/ power steering. Would anybody be able to give me a step by step on removing the old box and replacing it with a new one. I know I'll need a pitman arm puller and some pb blaster, but are there any other special tools needed, and any special tricks or tip. It would be greatly appeciated. I get no response from the jeep boards. Thanks! /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I was wondering why you were posting here till I read your last sentence...to bad about those jeep boards

The swap isn't all that hard except for getting off the pitman arm. To remove the input coupler you have to pull the pinch bolt all the way out (not just loosen it). Before you put in the new box make sure it is centered as well as the steering wheel. When you have it all back in fill it with fluid and cycle it back and forth with the wheels off the ground a few times and recheck the fluid level. Then start the engine and recheck the fluid level. Then cycle it back and forth again and never let the fluid get down too low or it will suck more air into the lines...you should be good to go.

I don't know if your frames like to crack like ours do but you might want to look into a brace while you have it off. Also you might as well replace all the factory hardware with new grade 8 stuff.