Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rusty79, May 7, 2003.

1. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i have just acquired an 88 k5 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif to replace my 79. the 88's steering is loose when i looked at it the play is in the steering shaft going into the steering box ( you can turn the steering shaft going into the steering box). you can turn it about half a turn by hand with the truck stopped and the engine off. my question is does this mean the steering box is bad? does it need to be adjusted? if it is bad will the steering box out of my 79 fit the 88? both look the same. both trucks are 4x4 the 88 has 4 inch suspension 3 inch body lift and is on 35 inch tsl's

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds like the steering shaft is belly up, not the steering box... I dunno, maybe I am just not reading your description of the symptoms correctly. At any rate, the joints in stock steering shafts are well known for going to poop... i replaced mine with a borgeson shaft from summit. Easy to install, relatively cheap, and much nicer than the stock unit.

j

3. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

the only time i saw it it was dark but it seems the play is coming from the box not the shaft

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

anything is possible i guess, Im not a steering box guru so I dunno. I guess the best thing to do would be to have a friend turn the wheel while you watch, with good light, so you know exactly what the problems is before you start buying stuff or swapping parts or whatever. Its really annoying when you do a LOT of work fixing something that isnt broken. lol!

j

5. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

definitly but im stripping the 79 down to nothing because its going to the junkyard unless someone wants the body free to a good home ill even through in the frame. but ill be keeping almost everything off the 79 as half the truck is new the other half is missing cuz rust stole it

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

The 79 will not interchange with the other because in 80 they changed to o-ring hoses and the splines in the input shaft also changed.
    If you can turn the input but the output doesn't turn then tighten the top adjuster nut 1/4 turn at a time until it drive better.
    If the output turn at the same time as the input then you need to look at tie rods for slack.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Are you turning by hand below the rag joint or above it?
    If your grabbing below, your box is bad and no adjustment will help you. If your '79 box has the same number of bolts (there are three bolt boxes and four bolt boxes) you should be ok to use it, it may even be better and have the variable ratio sector shaft in it, like alot of the '70's ones did.
    If your grabbing above the rag joint, you need to make sure your steering shaft slip joint or rag joint isn't what is causing the play.

BlazerMan