Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering boxes and frame cracks?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by divorced, Jan 3, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do the 67-72 trucks have the cracks-in-the-steering-box-area problem that the 73-87(91) trucks have?

Are the steering boxes interchangable from 67-72 and 73-87(91)? (with the exception of the steering hose change in the 80's) Example - Will a steering box from a 1979 4x4 work on a 1972 2x4 that is being converted to 4x4?

Thanks.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My 72 has a factory installed plate on the inside of the frame were the box bolts on. THe plate is held in by big factory rivits. So no cracking issues on mine. I don't know if all first gen years got them or not? I don't know why GM stoped putting them in on 73+ models?? Probly cost saver..

I'm not sure if the boxes are interchangable or not so maby someone can answer that one for ya.
    Burt

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the information. What I might try to do is convert my '72 to a 4x4. Right now it has coils at all four corners, I would swap them out for leafs and I already have 2 sets of 3/4 ton axles sitting around so I would throw a set of them under there and hang a divorced 205 between them. I could use the 2wd box that is on there for crossover steering. Crossover costs more than I want to spend for it, but it would probably be worth it.

I think they stopped doing a lot of things for cost savers. The 73+ doors either fall off or don't close properly on many of the older ones that haven't been fixed up. The doors on my '72 close perfectly. If only they still built things like they used to...

:usaflag:

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Mine has something like that too. I just thought the dude before me installed it (although after seeing the rest of the truck, don tknwo why he owuld do that, lol) No cracks. I also made a brace to tie the frame rails together.

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

lol I hear you on the doors closing thing, 73 plus seemed troubled to death due to design, any 67-72 out at the shop have little or no issues:cool1:

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yeah in 71 72 there was factory steering brace

you dont really hear about frame crack problems nearly as much as 73 up

also did yo know that most 3/4 and 1 tons 2wd and all have factory brace bracket inside frame rail under the engine mount trees and above the suspension engine cradle ? i like to snag these braces from parts trucks and use them on my trucks, 1/2 ton, etc]

good luck

7. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

No frame cracks on my '72, but the rivets loosened up and caused about 1/4 turn of play in my steering. Ground/cut, etc the rivets off and replaced w/ beefy grade 8 suspension bolts and she tightened right up.....