Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering brace for my 72

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tom4, May 3, 2006.

1. tom4

tom4 Registered Member

Anyone know where to find a steering brace for my 72 blazer?

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Didn't the first gen Blazers and Jimmies have a type of frame reinforcement that functioned a lot like a steering brace would on the '73+ years? I'm not sure about that, so maybe someone can confirm that or else bash me with a big BS hammer.​

3. Clockwork71

Clockwork71 Registered Member

I know for sure that my 71 blazer has a reinforcement type plate between the box and frame. Somewhat similar to the plate they sell to fix cracked frames. I have had no problems with 37in. tires.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

1st Gens come with a reinforcement plate as a factory item....

[​IMG]

If you look carefully, so can see the extra material inside the framerail to support the box.

As far as the diagonal brace that is part of the kit on later model trucks, I've never seen one for a 1st Gen. You could probably come up with something to tie the steering box area to the front crossmember if you really wanted to....or do a hydro-assisted steering setup to remove stress from the steering box area.

5. tom4

tom4 Registered Member

I have my new 42's on and at a stand still I can see my frame tweek when I turn. However I have a body lift, no top or doors, and my front bumper isnt attatched so that plays a part.

6. jmeador74

jmeador74 1/2 ton status

I know a long time ago on here there was talk about the re-enforcement plates. A few guys that had first gens did say that they didn't have the re-enforcement plate. But, most of us that were talking that had first gens had the plates. And I think the ones that didn't have the plate just went with one from a later model and made it work.

-James

7. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I made one, but never had a problem without. I turn 42s and 38s, theres pics in my sig of the one i made.

8. tom4

tom4 Registered Member

I already figured out about the brace, but thanks though. Tell me about that tpi....how does it run, whats it off of, and how much did it cost?

Thanks

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

It ran good except for the fact I had Street and Performance in AZ burn the chip which I had problems with. I was going to get it dynotuned, as thats the only way to go. It didnt cost me that much, 300 for a harness, 100 for a pump and 200 for a chip, and misc stuff like fuel line, brackets, coil air filter. You can find complete TPI setups for under 500. You could probably get it done for under a grand. I put 800 Miles on my TPI since I did it back in 2004, now im parting out the truck.