Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering brace install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mo, Mar 1, 2005.

1. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I went to go install one of these the other day, and it didn't look like it was fitting correctly... There are these two like 1" round pieces on the frame(that look just like the round parts on the brace where the bolts go through to the box)

If i put the brace on on top of these it doesnt lok right and the supplied bolts are like an inch too short, also, it goes about an inch further past the hole on the front cross member...

should i just cut these off? and there is a bracket on the other side where the little piece is suppossed to go that looks like it will interfere with its placement also?? I dont get it, I thought this was bolt on?

I'll try to get pics if i can to make this clearer...

thanks

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

3. folkenheath

folkenheath Worthless Trash Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Those pieces of tubing are seperate pieces that come off with the bolts, nvrenuf is right. If they are stuck just tap them with a hammer, they should fall off. Then you can use the brace and the bolts that came with it.

About the front brace, I used both pieces. If you just oblong the holes a tiny bit in the factroy brace, you can put the ORD piece behind the factory piece. Then you have the most braces and it is still a bolt on. But I suppose you don't have to use it, I like it because it adds two more points where it braces the front of the frame as well. :)

4. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

thanks guys, how i do love pictures...