Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering brace.......will it prevent "crackage" of the frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Feb 16, 2004.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

steering brace.......will it prevent \"crackage\" of the frame

Any stories on how effective the steering brace is on a k5 frame with no welded brace? Has anyone cracked a frame running this alone? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Paul

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Re: steering brace.......will it prevent \"crackage\" of the frame

There have been several posts in the past about breaking a frame with the brace in place.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

so the frame will crack with the brace in place? Is it just a matter of time, and the only thing this brace does is slow it down? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I run 38's right now.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

use the weld in kit, the bolt on brace and get hydro assist. problem solved. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

man, i really need to learn how to weld. I never pay anyone to work on my stuff, so that means I need to learn this...also means new tools /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif just don't tell my girlfriend

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I agree with jek, sometime after we installed the 6" lift, I found the frame cracks around the bolt holes on the steering box. I installed the bolt in brace, and not to long after that, crossover steering. Even though the cracks have not increased since the crossover went on, I had a weld in frame brace installed along with the bolt-in. I hope that solves the problem.

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Is the frame a serious problem for anyone? or is this just a problem that starts to occure when you go with bigger tires, and usually what size tires starts this breakage problem? actually would 33's be a problem i guess is the question?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifcurious /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

when i got my k5 it had 33's on it and had a BAD crack. I think the PO treated it bad though. I think he jumped it a few times.

Nick

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Personally, I would never install the ORD brace without installing their weld-in repair too. People like the brace because it tightens up the frontend and keeps the frame from twisting (which is the cause of the cracked frame at the steering box). Well...guess what...all that old twisting force in the frame is now being directed at the bolt holes for your steering box via the brace. So, for what it's worth, I'd do both kits, the weld in repair, or neither one.

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

[ QUOTE ]
    all that old twisting force in the frame is now being directed at the bolt holes for your steering box via the brace.

[/ QUOTE ]

????
    Are you worried about breaking the ears off your steering box? If so, hydro assist is the only way to take stress off the mounting bolts. Adding the weld in kit does nothing to reduce the loads on the bolts holding the box on.
    Spreading the steering box loads over more of the frame area with a brace helps keep those same loads from flexing the 1/8" (in 1/2T and K5 frames) frame and causing fatigue cracks. How does this hurt things?

We recommend the weld in and bolt in for hard use because some frames will crack even with the box brace installed. It does a pretty good job of spreading the steering forces around in the frame but can't do much for the front springs moving the frame around when you're twisting the suspension up. Without major frame work to keep it all from flexing, the next best thing is to beef up the steering box area (the most stressed area) with the extra plates.

Generally, ALL GM's need a box brace, we've seen street driven trucks with small tires that have cracked out frames. As always YMMV but this is what we've found.