Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering brace with hydro assist?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I know that this has been asked before, but now it's being asked again. I'm going with the WTO ram assist steering on my truck. I have the weld in reinforcement and was originally planning on putting the ORD brace in as well, but that was before I planned on going hydro. It seems to me that the brace is entirely unneccesary since the lion's share of the stress that would normally be transferred to the frame through the drag link will be soaked up by the ram. Opinions? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I agree. I have not added either brace to mine. I have watched while the tires are turned back and forth, no frame movement at the box, however, I do notice the entire front frame rails moving. I gotta get that front tube together... Anyway, I would say put the ram on it and do like I did, get it in the rocks and see if the box moves when turning and bound up.

3. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I agree too. Before I installed the WTO assist I would notice excessive side to side flex of the frame around the steering box due to the motion of the crossover steering. After the ram was hooked up the frame didn't move at all. This was at a stand still while the steering was cycled back and forth.

I had the ORD bolt in brace before the cross over and hydro assist. But I also went ahead and did the weld on brace while the steering box was sent to WTO. IMO you shouldn't need the bolt on brace with the assist but overkill isn't bad either /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I like saving $100+ by not buying something that will make no difference even better than overkill./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks guys, looks like I'll skip the brace for now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I'd skip the brace but put in the weld in plate. extra beef at the *known* weakest point of a chevy frame cannot be bad.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I already have the weld in plate installed, I think those should be added to any full size GM truck. </font color>

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i have the weld in kit and a WTO ram. The ram prolly does take some stress off the frame... at the same time, if I ever drop my rig on the ram and break the thing on the trail... I dont want to break my frame getting back to civilization either... so the weld in kit has its uses. I dont feel any great need to get any additional support (bolt in) though... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j