Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering brace

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 85GMCJimmy, Jul 13, 2001.

1. 85GMCJimmy

85GMCJimmy Registered Member

Today i was looking under my Jimmy, by the way it is a 85 just for reference sake. I was looking of the center cross member, and there is some kind of brake valve of some type mounted about 2 to 3 inches to the left from the center of the center cross member, will the effect the mounting of the steering brace or will the brace go around the brake valve to bypass it. On Steve's he does not have that brake vale on his, he just has the hoses.

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

There should be a hole just above the p-valve. It needs to be enlarged to work with the bolt they send. You may have to bend the lines to clear it if it does hit, just don't kink the lines. i know BlazinOR has a pic or two on his page with the brace installed on his.

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It still cracks me up to hear someone say "I was out looking under my Jimmy....."
    I like to play with my Jimmy too, it's ok :-)

The box brace should go over the brake lines and the prop valve. It has cutouts in it to clear most of the lines. Sometimes they require some re-routing (bending) but most of the time it doesn't take much to put it on.
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image][/image]
    SW-ORD

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It still cracks me up to hear someone say "I was out looking under my Jimmy....."
    I like to play with my Jimmy too, it's ok :-)

<hr></blockquote>
    LOL!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.K5.rockcrawler.com>www.K5.rockcrawler.com</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

5. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Had to move my lines and also the bolt sent was not long enough to get a thread or two to show..

The Few, The Proud, The K5 Blazer

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

With a nylock nut, you really don't need any poking out of the nut, the threads end before the nylon, so if they end up flush with the nylon, you're doing fine. If I remember right, that's about how they work out.
    Sounds like it went on OK.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

After I got through fondling my Jimmy, [​IMG]

I had maybe 1 thread or 2 protruding through the nylon.

there was a little bolt on bracket that secured the hard lines to the crossmeber, but I just removed the bracket, bent the lines up re-drilled the holes and secured the lines up above the brace.

Did you say I have monkeys flying outta my butt?[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>