Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering braces!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bikinnotdykin, Oct 28, 2003.

1. bikinnotdykin

bikinnotdykin Registered Member

I just joined ck5, but have been using it daily for 6 mo or so.
    I am building an all around blazer, geared toward moab since I live close by. I just put 6" bds lift on the front, I have a d60 I just rebuilt, crossover highsteer, and just sent my box to wto for the redneck ram.
    my problem is this. I bought the blazer in stock form, and it is clean!! no cracks in the steering area. I need some pics and ideas of CUSTOM steering braces, boxed frames etc... I do not want my frame to crack!! I think there are better braces out there that people have made, not that I don't like ord, I just think there are different ways of doing it, and I need some ideas on it. I can fab so bring on the custom sh*t. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

There is a reason that ORD and others sell the same thing. It works.

I am planning on using the fishplate AND the bolt on brace. I might not get it from ORD, but I'll be using that exact setup.

Then again, the hydro steer takes a lot of stress off the frame. You may get buy with just the fishplate.

3. bikinnotdykin

I had an 86 1/2 shorty that I used the weld in repair and the bolt in brace, I think there's better ways w going to a custom set up, possibly a crossmember that bolts in between the frame to the steering box then to the other side, maybe attatch it to the crossmember that the bolt on kit uses too

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just use the standard weld on kit from 4wpw. AFAIK, once you have hydro assist (only a matter of time!) there is less stress placed on that weak part of the frame... so any of the standard fixes in addition to da hydro oughta work just fine... i havent had any probs.

j

5. bikinnotdykin