Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering & Bracking Sucks!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Nov 30, 2006.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

First off I have searched and have read all kinds of different answers to my problem. My 89 has an 8 in lift on it with 36 in mickey AT. I am currently running 10 bolts until I swap to 3/4. When I am driving the k5 pulls to the right when I brake and it is all over the road. I have read about bump steer, dropped pitman arms, draglinks and crossover steering etc etc etc. It is not my brakes or a stuck calipers and has new ball joints according to previous owner. What do I need to do to make this truck steer better? I do not like to have to clutch the wheel and hold on for dear life everytime I brake. The k5 will be driven on the freeway a few times a week. Am I asking to much for better steering?

:doah: :haha:

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Sure sounds like a caliper issue.

As for steering, what kind of steering set up do you have now?

-- A

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is the wonderfully designed push pull steering (the factory type) on your rig that is causing the swerving. As you brake the nose of your rig dips compressing the front suspension. This compression causes the steering arm on the nuckle to move away from the pitman arm and causes your wheels to turn to the left I want to say. The only remedy for that is to go crossover. With 8" lift I would recommend crossover anyways. My K5 would do what you described on stock suspension also I went crossover and I can lock up the tires and no matter how much nose dive I get the wheels dont try to turn left or right.

Ira

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It may seem elementary but you're not stuck in 4wd, are you? Both of my trucks pulled like a b!tch if driving on hard pavement in 4wd.

Other than that, if you don't want to switch to crossover, make sure you have a raised steering arm and a dropped pitman arm. Basically, with the push-pull steering, you want your drag link angle to parallel the angle of the front half of your spring. That will keep everything mostly in line when steering and braking.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

How are your bushings in the front end? Feel any play in the the suspension/steering system with the front wheels off the ground and check for any problems. Everyone seems to have different reusults, and its not surprising with the age of these trucks. Inspect all you can, and most importantly check your tire pressure to make certain they are all equal. Unequal pressure in the fron tires will cause all kinds of wandering under braking. Might need to check alignment, or bleed the brakes (all the way around) again. But it could be one of many little things, or just one big problem thats causing your pull. I had a camaro that pulled really hard under braking, it was a combination of a bad caliper, air in the lines, and worn struts. I had to systematically replace the parts until it all but went away. Even with the stock system your truck should stop realitively straight, especially with 8" springs. I wouldnt imagine them collapsing that much under braking. I had the stock steering system on my truck with about 8" of lift and on the street my truck would drive staight and stop striaght. Ultimately, atleast with street driving you shouldnt be asking much of that steering system.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds to me like definately a braking problem, if it was a steering problem it would be there all the time but since you are only having this issue when you apply the brakes it has something to do with your brakes. Check your rear brakes for proper adjustment as this is the number one cause of a brake pull.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

It is braking from the standpoint of when you push the brakes the suck ass stock steering causes the vehicle to pull one way or the other as the front springs compress due to nose dive. It does not take much movement to make a darting action in the steering. It has to do with the draglink angle and length. There was a huge post almost identical to this one aboot 3 months ago.

Ira

8. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Pretty sure it is not the brakes. I want to go to crossover steering when I swap to 3/4 or 1 tons. I will try the raised steering arm and dropped pitman arm. Thanks

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you do know that when you swap to 3/4 tons you dont have to change any of the steering right? i'd just do the crossover now, and swap to a 3/4 ton front later. you're not running huge agressive tires, so there's really no need for a Dana 60, especially on a street truck.

10. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't always trust what the PO said unless you personally check it for yourself. My brakes had so much sludge and nasty stuff inside the front pistons, I'm surprised they stopped. They were also "rebuilt." I found two springs broken on the rear right side drum. I agree with brakes as an issue.

I would expect death wobble or other steering issues if steering was the primary cause.

Unless you brake hard, you will not have significant weight transfer and front end drop. Without weight transfer and front end drop, there shouldn't be geometry changes in the steering.

Crossover steering is a necessity for your rig with that kind of lift.

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

depending on how old the front springs are, front end dive may be a BIG issue.

12. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

I figured I needed crossover steering. The all spring lift is brand new. Was hoping to not have to spend the money on crossover until next year.

13. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

:rolleyes::o:rolleyes:

Change in position. I'm following John Kerry's position strategy.

The lift and geometry, bad balljoints, etc, may indeed be the cause. I just went through the front end of my own truck and rebuilt the entire braking system with new stuff.

Crossover is my next project.