Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Col.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Feb 19, 2005.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

My steering colunm is like really really loose now. It is loose at the tilt.

I guess i should stop pullingmyself in by the wheel.

Any easy way to fix this? Am i for sure going to go need a wheel puller

2. kevcarr59

kevcarr59 Registered Member

Puller Needed Indeed...

Depending on what year it is, its a definite chore. You'll have to remove the turn signal cam and all that stuff. The Haynes book has all the directions in it.

I had a friend that's a knowledgeable mechanic and it took us about 2 hours. A little secret... Have some #8-32 allen head screws for when you pull out the pivot pins. Also a slide hammer helps a lot. There are 4 external star head bolts that you will be tightening. You'll need a E-8 external star socket (2 or 3 bucks at A-Z, or local parts house). Get some blue LOCK-TITE and you put some on the threads, that'll lock them down and they won't come loose again. Also only pull them out 1 at a time, or you'll loose that whole plate inside the column and have to totally strip it apart to get it out.

We did it about 3 months ago and it is fine ever since. Like I said, a friend who's a good mechanic really did it. He's done them before so he knew exactly what was entailed. Reading the directions in the Haynes manual, I would have gotten about halfway into it before I would have been pulling my hair out.:confused: :confused:

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

yeah do what he said.haha.i did this to my moms pickup.had the same loose tilt wheel.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

its a project ill never do one again, if you have a temper problem then youll never accomplish this one, not without bad stuff happening, i always just swap out column for another when this happens to one,

way easier :D

if you go for it then take your time and take many breaks

also you can make a tool to pull the pins out of some tough steel bent to u shape and hole drilled in it and a longer screw with the required threads and a nut to tighten with

good luck

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005