Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering columb?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

While out wheel'n over new years my steeing wheel got real loose. I tore into it out on the trail (it was that bad and I had a hour to kill waiting for a friend) to see that the problem was that there was nothing holding pressure on the inner race of the bearing that supports the shaft. It seams that there would be some sort of nut there or something (all that was holding it was the plastic cancle cam/horn contact thing that kinda threaded onto the shaft). Is that what is suposed to hold it? Do I need to look for a large really fine thread nut (and than give up and make one)?

BTW: it is the tilt columb and an auto.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

2. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I just rebuilt my column a couple weeks ago. I believe you're talking about the upper column bearing. If I remember right, that bearing sits in a plastic race which is part of the turn signal/hazard light switch mechanism. This plastic piece bolts to the column body. When the steering shaft and wheel are assembled into the column, a spring on the bottom of the column puts pressure on the steering shaft which holds pressure against the upper and lower bearings, sandwiching everything together. My bottom bearing race is adjustable allowing the spring tension to be increased to eliminate shaft end-play. BTW this is on a column with no shift mechanism.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

If it's an original '69-'72 type tilt column, there is a wierd little 8-sided nut that holds a metal bearing race against the upper bearing. The spring thingy didn't happen until the columns with the steering interlock were introduced in '73.

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I thought that was what was missing. All that was/is holding the preload on that bearing race is the plastic cancle cam/horn contact ring. It kinda threads onto the sahft.

So where do I get a new Nut? The shaft has really fine threds (like 28 tpi) and is about 3/4" Dia.

Now if I could only spell column right!

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Back to the top.

Does anyone know where I can get at nut?

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I'd check in Hemmings Motor News for people who rebuild steering columns for '68 and earlier GM cars (since they are very similar columns).

7. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I guess there is no steel nut that holds the tension on that upper bearing. My part #9 is a bit different than the one LMC has. It is shorter and there is no spring. I checked the price in my cataolg (don't know why I didn't think of that???) and the part is only $0.45! Too bad they don't sell that spring that goes below it or the bearing. I will have to try and find a spring at a hardwear store or make a spacer to go where the spring should go.

Thanks for all the help.