Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column Adjustment????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Sep 10, 2002.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

I have just aquired a 77' 3/4 ton chevy pickup. After driving a blazer for years, the steering wheel seem awfully close to the driver. Is there anyway to adjust the length of the column to give the driver more room & to let you extend your arms a little? Thanks for your help!!!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sorry, the length of the column is fixed. However, many older GM columns are interchangable between the vehicles, so with a little research or junkyard scrounging, you may be able to find a shorter column in something else that you could swap in. </font color>

3. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Any idea of what vehicles had a shorter column?? Thanks for your help!

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

how about a van.

John

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You might try the mid-sizes, as in late 70's/80's Monte Carlo's, Cutlass', Regal, etc.

Heck, they could even be longer! : )

6. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

look for an 84 buick lesabre...I don't know if it fits or not but it has a telescoping wheel that moves in and out. If it did fit it would be very cool.

just an idea.

Chris

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

maybe an aftermarket steering wheel would move it back to make it more comfortable for ya. Just an idea

8. dyeager535

The cadillacs and corvettes got those too, but for some reason they don't work. I'm guessing length. My dad turned his truck column into a tilt/tele with Cadillac parts, but most of the stuff is from the truck column.

IMO, the columns should have been telescopic from the factory, and not bothered with tilt.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

van use old style mounting design like 67-72 trucks, major changes were made in 73 on trucks not on vans.

cars all look to mount 90% same as 73-up trucks, i have a 79 de ville tilt telscope column and wheel i have never been able to even give away that i think i just may stick in the 79 K10 soon, hmmm
    i already know it will work, most any RWD 70's 80's car column will go in a 73-up truck

good luck

10. dyeager535

Don't forget also that GM changed the way the intermediate shaft clamped/bolted to the steering column. My dads '74 has the "clamped" intermediate/steering setup, while my '80-something setup has the bolt through both of them, with the nut on the other side.

I guarantee that almost no car columns are a bolt up to a truck for one reason or another, I'd look it up in my Hollanders if I had it handy, but I'm 99% sure that no car is listed as an interchange. Of course, Hollanders will not show an interchange if there are wiring differences and what not. (so although it may physically fit, the wiring would be different, which is obviously not a big deal)

I'm kind of surprised no one has chimed in and said "yes I've done it" here.

11. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys!! Maybe someone will chime in &amp; say this is what I've done /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif