Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering column... call me stupid...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grieby54, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Is there any way to take the Auto shift thingy off a steering wheel column? I have a 77' pickup and I have an auto column but a manual tranny. I've been looking around for a manual column but haven't found any and I was wondering if I could just replace the part where the auto gear shifter goes in???

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

there is a pin that holds the shifter in placem knock or drill it out and you can remove the shifter. you will still have the little knob on the plastic there, but no shifter.

3. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

its "possible" to replace that part, but not worth it (at LEAST an hour to tear down each of the 2 columns to get to that part) ... either live with the nub or get a manual column and replace it (less work) i got my new column for like $45 and its all of about 10 bolts to change a column (plus ignition cylinder and steering wheel) changing a column can also be a good time to add things like wiper control on turn signal arm, delay wipers, cruise control, tilt column, etc

i suppose you could go after it with a saw and then bondo/plastic fill it back... but again, probably not worth the effort

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Used steering colum at "U-Pull It" back in Omaha were like $10.00 five years ago. I usely found them with the key, so I didn't have too mess with changing the ignition lock. Been a while sence I've had too change one out.

5. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i smoothed mine with a grinder then used jb weld to fill the hole and repainted it just be careful not to get the jb weld in there too far

balzer

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

that would be a nice score.. although 14bolt ff here are $35 all day long... a column with no key is $75 - with key - $100 - with key and tilt $150!!!!!! :doah:

but I got my 85 jimmy with a manual column so will be going in in a few weeks :bow:

7. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

thanks guys... I appriciate the help

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

exactally what we did, except we filled the hole with JB weld and than ground it down, it was pretty easy, after we painted it youd never know it was there