Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column Change???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Canuck, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    I own an 86. Silverado K5 and the steering wheel is loose, the column is cracked where someone tried to steal it, the cruise and delay wipers are not working. Is there another model that is interchangable with the 86. I use a 92 chev astro van at work, and I really like the column and wheel. There are some cars like the Monte Carlo and Grand Prix which are abundant in the scrap yards. I understand that I have to completely tear down the column in order to tighten up the 4 screws which accounts for the wheel being loose. Seems like it may be easier to just replace the whole column. Is there interchangable years, or do I have to stick with the same year, model etc.

Thanks for your input.

Go Wide or Stay @ Home
  2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Nov 6, 2000
    4 a direct bolt in you cannot use one from a car but you can use one out of a newer k5

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud
  3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    For the most part, all internals are interchangeable on the GM vehicles that are that style. However, different years, you will have different wiring, etc. Length is the main issue when dealing with another application. If you are trying to save yourself work, you would do best to find one that is exactly the same year and from the same style truck.

My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>