Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column Collar

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Mar 10, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Now that my truck is getting close to good looking lol, time to start planning for worst case scenario. I remember probably a year ago now, someone had posted about steering column guards. Basically a thick steel piece that went around the column, someone posted a pic of it on their truck and if i remember right, it was painted either red or yellow. Anyone got pics, prices, place to get, how does it attach around the column, etc. Thanks. Chris.
    P.S Saw some confusing info on another site, you dont have to take the thing off every time you drive do you?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a bright red one that is called the Column Pro-Gard and is sold by American Auto Accessories in Corona, NY. It does have to be removed each time that you want to start the engine, as it covers up the entire column and igntion switch assembly. It's fairly old, as the latest model vehicle listed on the box is a 1994. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It slips on and off pretty easily, but I got it for $5 so I really can't complain. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Somewhere over the years I recall seeing a steel collar that fastened permanently around the column with tamper proof screws. It was supposed to make it WAY more difficult for a thief to bust the column and drive your rig away. I don't know how effective it was but you installed it once and them didn't have to mess with it again.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh im lookin for one that I wouldnt have to put on everytime I got out. That would get old really quick, even if you are protecting it. Anyone else got one?

4. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

I had the one Harry is talking about on an '86 Monty SS I had (wish we had a crying graemlin). The PO was a very good friend of mine who has got to be the best mechanic I've ever know (very smart guy). He had it installed when he bought it from KS State Patrol(theft recovery / drug car). He works in one of the worst neighborhoods in Kansas City and never had it stolen.

If it wasn't for the price tag I would try to destroy /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif one just to see, but I think it would be damn hard! Someone did their homework when they designed it.