Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Column Help Needed ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Currank5, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

OK, today i was fixing my loose tilt steering column. I tightened the loose bolts and was putting everything back together. I went to put the ignition back in (the piece that holds the key), and i can't get it to turn to the off position. While i was fixing the thing it got bumped into the "ON" position and it is stuck there, I cannot get it to turn off. So it's like the key is on all the time. I tried turning it with a pair of pliers and nothing, it's locked up. Any ideas/ suggestions?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't remember if the locking pin that extends up through the top of the column (drivers side) effectively locks the key in position or not. Your problem likely has to do with the fact that the mechanism gets jammed up without the key in place. There is that plastic tab that sticks up at the back.

How about turning the key to run before installing the cylinder?

3. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

I put the cylinder in and tried turning it that way. The cylinder will spin forward to the start position but not back to the off or accesory position. There are gears on the drivers side and i can see how it spins. I tried tapping that so that it would maybe roll back but it wont move where it needs to.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Make sure the column shifter is not in gear.:dunno:

5. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

Good idea. I just took the auto shift lever off because its no longer needed after i did my manual swap. I'm gonna go check that now. If that's it i'm gonna feel like an idiot.

6. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

You da man. Rotated the thing where park used to be and it turns off now. I might have to find some way to lock that in place so it doesn't turn on me again. Thanks.